If my husband and I no longer want to be married, is filing for no fault divorce the best option?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband no longer wish to be married I suggest that each of you consult with a family law attorney to see what your legal options are after you have made your best efforts with respect to marriage counseling. The reason is that courts suggest such before the marriage is deemed dissolved.

As to the basis for terminating the marriage, most states have as a ground irreconciliable differences which essentially translates into "no fault".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.