If my husband and I have just seperated, would the courts give him 50/50 custody even though he would not be able to support my child?

Or would he just get visitation until he can show that he can be responsible? I am the only one working and my ex does not have a job and has not worked in about 3 years.

Asked on December 12, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given what you have written about, if the "ex" wants 50% custody of the minor child and is a good father then most likely the court will allow such a request unless there are reasons not to. I suggest that you may want to consult with a family law attorney for further assistance in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.