If my husband move out of state to be closer to his family and left his things with no intention of coming back, what are his legal rights to items he brought into the marriage with him that he left?

It has been 2 months now of going back and forth between whether to stay together or not; now it appears that “not” is the answer. He borrowed over $300 from me during our months of trying to work things out so he could pay bills while searching for a job. He has not responded to my requests for the money to be paid back and I have to move out of my apartment next month since I can no longer afford the rent. He did leave things here – a television, some furniture and a standing freezer.

Asked on October 24, 2015 under Family Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally, anything he brought with him into the marriage (i.e. which was his pre-marriage) remains his (just as anything you brought with you remains you); even if he temporarily left things behind, they still belong to him. Anything bought during marriage is subject to be divided or distributed during a divorce, becasuse both you and he have legitimate claims to that marital property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.