What to do if my husband and I have been married for 10 years but 1 month ago he abandoned me, our 2boys and the business that we have together?

He also took both vehicles in his parents name and left me none. I want alimony and child support and a car. He moved 11 hours away and said he is starting a new life. I cannot afford an attorney; please tell me where to go from here.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You really need to file for a divorce and get some temporary orders in place for child support.  Texas does not have alimony, but does allow marital support for some limited cases.  These cases either involve domestic violence or cases where one spouse stayed at home while the other worked an now has a limited earning capacity.   If you cannot afford an attorney, you can do one of two things.  The first is to represent yourself. This is not usually the best idea.  Your second option is to see if there is a legal aid organization nearby that will help you.  Most counties have a list of non-profit organizations posted with or near the district clerk in their county. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.