How would I go about divorcing my husband and revoking his rights without knowing how to locate and/or contact him?

My husband and I have been separated fot about 9 months. He has not seen my son and I since then. He had threatened to kill me, my family and himself. He previously stated he wanted to revoke his parental rights and never see/speak to either of us again.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need counsel immediately. You need to see if there are notice requirements you would be exempt from to get the divorce and whether a restraining order would be appropriate! You may be able to do publication as your method of notice but check before you do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.