If my husband and I have a 3 month old son and were to separate, what rights would I have and what rights would he have regarding the child?

I would be the one temporarily moving out of the home and would take my son with me if possible.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As parents with respect to your minor cchild both you and your spouse would have custodial and visitation rights as to him as well as decision making as to schools and raising him. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to give you some guidance with respect to the separation that you intend to go through with your husband.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.