What can we do if our creditors are not being paid under our Chapter 13 plan?

My husband and I filed bankruptcy last year. As part of that settlement, our property taxes were part of our filing. The bankruptcy was approved and we have had our bankruptcy payments automatically debited out of our account. However, now we’ve received letters from creditors that we were supposed to be paying through the trustees (such as our property taxes for last year’ we’ve just been notified that the county is trying to collect on them) that these creditors are not receiving any money. It appears that the lawyers are getting all of their fees upfront but the creditors aren’t being paid. We can’t get our lawyers to call us back our answer us. Are we still liable for these taxes? What is our recourse?

Asked on November 1, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a bankruptcy attorney in your locality to look into the situation and to possibly file a motion with the bankruptcy court about the situation you are in. One can be found by viewing attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.