What to do if my husband and I are having marital problems and are contemplating divorce and he is 100% service connected disabled from the air force?

Between his retirement and disability, he recieves about $2800, plus another from that he also gets $1200per month from social security. We have been married over 24 years no children involved. Am I entitled to alimony from him as this is our only source of income, I do not work he supports me.

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney with respect to the matter you have written about specifically as to your entitlement to spousal support. The problem that I see is that your spouse is not working due to a perceived disability and most likely you are in better shape physically to work than him. If so, based upon what earnings you can make, there is a possibility that you could end up paying spousal support in the end.

From what you have written, it appears that you need to look into what is available in the job market for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.