What to do if my husband andI are getting a divorce andI want to disestablish paternity?

My husband is the presumed father not the biological father. He doesn’t want any rights to the child.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation and for your son who assumes that this man is his Father.  If you are in fact sure that he is not the Father and he does not want to have to support the child, then you need t have a paternity test taken. Is the biological father in the picture?  Does he know about his son?  i as because I worry not only for the mental well being of the child but for the financial support of the child as well. I would seek to discuss this matter with an attorney as soon as you possibly can.  If the biological father is willing to step up and file an affidavit of paternity t may save the necessity of the paternity test for your husband.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.