If my husband and I are getting divorce, how my name can be removed from the deed?

My name is on the deed of the house but not on the mortgage. My husband always had paid the mortgage by himself and I’m not interested in the house. Will my credit will be affected it?

Asked on December 16, 2015 under Family Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a quitclaim deed which releases your entire right, title and interest in the property to your husband.  The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary.  It becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).
Filing a quitclaim deed should not affect your credit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.