Can I move-in with a male simply as a roommate and nothing more and not lose my parental rights?

My husband and I are getting a divorce and I’m the one moving out, single mom of 3 and can’t afford a place of my own right now. I have a male friend willing to rent me a room. There is nothing in the paperwork stipulating that we cannot live with other people.

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Family Law, Oklahoma


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Moving in with a male will not, by itself, get your parental rights terminated.  Involuntary termination occurs when you have done something to harm the child or you have significantly neglected a child.  Even though you won't loose your parental rights, you may want to hold off until after the divorce is finalized.  If you move in while you are still married, a more conservative judge could frown on the co-ed relationship and impose a restriction that you not live in a house-hold with a member of the opposite sex.  If you move in with your friend after the divorce is finalized, your ex- could take you back to court to have the restriction imposed, but it would cost him a filing fee and attorney's fees to do so-- which he may not be motivated to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.