If my husband and I are filing for divorce online and I plan to change my last name but not to my maiden name or a previous, how do I do this?

Can I choose a new last name as part of the online divorce? There is a place to enter that information but the wording says “maiden or previous last name” and does not indicate a new last name can be used. I wasn’t sure if this wording was accurate or not.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


Michael Gainer / Michael J. Gainer, Attorney At Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I'm not sure about your state or the online forms, but in Washington State, a party can change their name to whatever they want as part of the divorce proceedings.  After the decree is entered by the court, parties then take certified copies of it wherever they need to name change recorded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.