What to do if my husband’s sister is the personal representative of his mother’s Will but she has refused to provide him with any information about the estate?

He and his sister are the only 2 beneficiaries of the estate; they are to split it equally.

Asked on February 18, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can report his sister to the approriate probate court (i.e. the one in the county in which the deceased was domiciled at their death). The court can then compel his sister to make an accounting of the estate. If there has been any self-dealing or any other malfeasance on her part, he can take action against her.

At this point, you may want to discuss the situation with a local probate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.