What to do if my husband agreed to file an uncontested divorce but now he will not schedule the final meeting to finish the settlement agreement?

What are my options?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may need to file a motion to force settlement or be prepared to have a long contested series of motions, hearings and pleadings.  Something has changed, so you may need to get to the bottom of what has changed.  See if your mutual friends can tell you.  Otherwise, try being nice and giving him some optional dates with the conciliation court/mediator/judge to finalize it.  If he is still not responsive, be prepared to have a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.