What to do if my house was foreclosed on and an auction sale was set but there was no sale and I want my name off the deed?

According to records I still own the home. I want to relieve myself of responsibility since I am no longer technically the owner. Either the bank is dragging its heals on deeding the property into there name or they don’t plan on ever doing it. Either way, how do I relieve myself from this responsibility or make the bank do what they are supposed to do?

Asked on June 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are legally responsible under the loan for the home that you purchased pending any foreclosure sale by the lender of the security (the home) for the loan that you received.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do with respect to the home that you are writing about to get you off legal title to it other than transfer title to it to some third party. By doing this, you are still obligated under the loan. Until the secuirty is foreclosed upon or you transfer title of the property to the lender by "deed in lieu of foreclosure" you are still obligated on the loan.

I suggest you consult with a real estate attorney further about your matter to see what else can possibly be done to resolve the situation that you are presently in concerning your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.