If my heat has been out for about 2 months and my landlord will not repair it after 2 requests, is there anything that I can do?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

At this time of year, 2 months without heat is not reasonable. And since every lease as what is known as an "implied warranty of habitability", if your rental is rendered inhabitable (unlivable), you as a tenant have certain rights. 

First of all, since such a long period of time has elapsed and water is essential to live in a residence, you may be able to claim "constuctive eviction".  If you have to move out you may a legal claim for any costs you incur (such a hotel; extra travel time; storing belongings; etc.). Additionally, you may also obtain a court order that allows you to move back in after the problem has been corrected. 

At the very least, this is a situation of the breach of the "warranty of habitability". This is an implied guarantee in every residential lease that provides for a tenant to be given a sanitary and safe premises. For such a breach you have certain rights: you can fix the problem and charge the landlord for reimbursement; you can withhold any your rent until the heat is restored; or choose to end your tenancy and move (in which case your landlord will be liable for your moving expenses). 

However, before pursuing any of these self-help rmeasures you should to consult with a local attorney who handles landlord-tenant cases. If you don't follow the proper procedures for attempting any of these actions, you could be held liable financially. 

Note: You should also report the situation to your local housing code enforcement officer; they can take action against your landlord until they resolve the problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.