What to do if my hand gun was taken by the local police station due to an accidental discharge?

Since it has been 4 years now and it was filled as an accident, no fault or charges, can I get my gun back? I am still surrently the owner and it is registered.

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would write the local police department for the return of your fire arm by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. If you due not get the fire arm's return by the due date then you need to file a petition with the court seeking a court order for its return.

If matters come to that stage, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you in filing the suggested petition with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.