What to do about a change of status?

My H1 was approved but change of status denied from F1 to H1 saying that I was not maintaining my status. How many days time do I have before I leave the country and get stamping done.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

As soon as possible since until you get a H-1B visa and reenter the US with that visa you are not authorized to work in the US.  However, keep in mind that if your I-94 has expired, you need to check to see how much of an overstay you  have so that you do not trigger a bar to reentry by departing the US.  You need to provide additional information about the specific dates in order to assess your status and chances of getting a visa stamp abroad and being able to reenter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.