If my H1 is approved but my COS is denied as iItraveled outside the US, now what is the best option to do COS without going back to India?

Asked on November 16, 2015 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your employer would have to do another petition for change of status and pay all the same fees again as if it were a new COS petition to be able to get COS portion approved.  I think it would be simpler to just go for consular processing.  You may not have to go all the way back to India.  You should explore whether a US consulate in Canada would entertain your petition, as a third country national.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.