Can my H1-B receipt obtained through employer A be transferred to employer B or does employer B need to separately file my H1-B?

My H1-B transfer is filed by employer A and I have received it`s receipt since the approval is still awaiting being a part of regular process which may take a month or two. I want to start working with employer B. What is the procedure?

Asked on November 28, 2015 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Employer B has to file a H-1B visa petition on your behalf as a transfer petition and the employer B has to pay all the USCIS filing fees etc as part of that process.  The H-1B is employer and location specific.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.