If my H1-B has been with non-profit organization since the beginning, how can I transfer my H1-B to a profit organization?

Is it transferable or not?

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Immigration Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under United States immigration laws when one received a H1-B visa to work for a particular non-profit in this country, the visa is solely for the stated non-profit. If you want to work for another company, you need to go to the nearest immigration department in this country and make an application to work for the new company and receive approval through an amended visa to do such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.