If my great grandmother died 2 years ago and no one has tried to change the house into their name, am I able to put it in mine?

My greatuncle lives there and isn’t paying the taxes or taking care of it. He’s going to end up losing the house to the state if they find out he hasn’t done anthing with the ownership and because he isnt paying the taxes. What can I do?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Hampshire


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is very difficult to give any guidance here with out knowing how the deed is held and what other documents involved (like a Will perhaps?) say.  If the house was held by both your great grandparents as a married couple then it passed to him automatically upon her death. You can not change it to anyone's name with out his okay and maybe unttil after he passes. I would suggest that you speak with an attorney in your area on the matter.  Paying the taxes is really the most improtant right now so that the county does not foreclose.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.