If my greatgrandfather died and left my mother $30,000, how do we collect?

We’re not sure whether this Qill was written in paper or merely a verbal agreement, as our uncle is the one who handled the ordeal. Now it appears our uncle could possibly be spending the money himself, and may deny us the inheritance. What are our options? We’re quite poor ourselves and can’t afford a good lawyer.

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Estate Planning, Indiana


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A verbal agreement is most likely unenforceable.  Thus, if your great grandfather only "said" he would leave the money, there is nothing you can do.  You have to find out if there was a will.  You can call the Probate Court in the area where your great grandfather lived and find out if someone (your uncle perhaps) opened an estate.  You can call your great grandfather's bank(s) and find out if he listed your mother as a beneficiary on any accounts.  Outside of these actions, I do not know how you can find out about this.  You need to know how your great grandfather left the money or no one can help you get it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.