Do I have any legal rights as a great-neice to obtain access to my great-aunt’s home after she has been declared incompetent?

I wish to retrieve any personal affects and mementos left inside. The attorney that represents the guardians agency has refused my request to enter the home. The home is being sold to a contractor in 2 days.

Asked on December 13, 2010 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I would seek legal help in your area immediately to determine where you stand in all of this.  Are you her next of kin?  You did not give any information as to same.  It would seem against public policy to not allow her family the ability to preserve family mementos and it sounds as if the attorney is strong arming you. Is the guardian a family member or did the state bring a proceeding?  Did any family member challenge the state?  I would ask your attorney about an injunction to halt the sale if possible or at least stay the sale until you can sort things out.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.