My great aunt died and I was appointed the Rep. Can the Knoxville, TN Probate Court hold the Personal Representative responsible for the fees incurred

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Not likely.  The fees incurred should come out of the estate unless the will (if there is one) indicates that the personal rep is to pay all fees.  (I can't imagine anyone doing that, though.)  Perhaps you are being asked to pay them up front, to be reimbursed later when the estate is settled.  Check with the probate attorney who is handling the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.