If my grandparents want to appoint my father’s share of their Will to me so that he can avoid some sort of taxes or fines that he may owe, is this legal?

Could I just write him a check or give him cash after they pass and all their assets are dispersed?

Asked on February 7, 2015 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First understand that an attorney can not advise some one to circumvent the law.  Your grandparents, however, can choose to leave their estate to whom ever they wish.  A child does not have an automatic right to an inheritance.  And what you do with your inheritance is your business. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.