What to do about a court judgment and an inheritance?

My grandmother recently passed away and left in her Will all remaining assets to her son, daughter and myself. I currently have a court judgement against me for child support with arrears that I am current on with the court through clearinghouse. Will this in any way affect me or any members of my family from receiving the full amount of money due?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are current then ou should make sure that everyone involed is aware of that. In Arizona, the Department of Economic Security’s Department of Child Support Enforcement Office (DCES) can seize assets to pay for back child support or to satisfy a judgement.  If arrears is what caused the judgement and you are current make sure that a satiisfaction is recorded somewhere.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.