How to remove an occupany off of inherited property?

My grandmother received land after my grandfather passed. My grandfather’s girlfriend lives in a trailer on the land. What steps can my grandma take to get the lady off the land so our family can move something on it?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that the girlfriend of your grandfather who is on the land you are writing about is on a month-to-month lease (no long term written lease) and your grandmother wants her gone, she need to serve her with a thirty (30) day notice to vacate preferably prepared by a landlord tenant attorney.

If she does not vacate in the time period stated in the notice, she will need to file an eviction proceeding in the county court house through a landlord tenant attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.