What are my rights if my grandmother left me a letter stating that she wants me to continue living in her home as long as I pay the bills and rent?

My uncle who is POA is going against her wishes. She told him this in person, she just didnt have time to change her will. The last few months of her life, I quit my job to care for her because no one was here, and now her son wants to kick me out with no money, no job, nothing Do I have any say on this?

Asked on May 19, 2016 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your grandmother has passed away, the letter has no legal authority whatsover--only an actual will has power over what happens to property or assets after someone dies. So if your uncle is the estate personal representative and/or inherits the home, he has the right to remove you: the letter expressing her wishes, or anything she told him orally, is something he could choose to honor, but he is not obligated or required to honor it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.