What to do if my grandmother left her house to me aand it has a mortgage but the company refuses to work with/give me any information because of their “strict privacy policy”?

All they do is send me letters threatening foreclosure. She left me her house in her Will.

Asked on November 18, 2014 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. PLEASE get legal help if only on a consultation and letter writing basis from an attorney.  If you were left the house as part of an inheritance you can continue to pay the mortgage that is still in your Grandmother's name without having to refinance or threat of foreclosure.  Inheritance is a general exception to the "due on sale" (and inheritance falls under this) clause of a mortgage.  You can pay the loan until it is paid off.  Now, if you wish to refinance the loan you will have to do so the regular way and apply, get approved, etc.  If they continue to threaten foreclosure I would contact your state banking commission and file a complaint.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.