If my grandmother died over 20 years ago and I just found out that I was named in it but believe my mother may have taken my inheritance, how can I find a copy of the Will?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation. 20 years is a long time ago.  Court, however, do keep copies of matters that have been opened that long.  You would need to go to the Probate Court in the county in which your Grandmother resided at the time of her death and look up the file. It is a public record. It may take a while for the court to get it if it is in storage or it may have been trandferred on to microfilm.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.