Wht to do if my grandmother died about 4-5-years ago and she said that there is a trust fund but no one can find it?

It was set up when she was 10 years old.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a trust fund set up in her name, you will need to do a little digging. Think about where she grew up and locate some banks that would have been in that area around that time. You can contact the FDIC to see if there was a way to a historical search merely by location and generally date timeframe. You can also check with the city halls in those areas (even bettter if you can narrow down to one or two cities). Then, once you find the name of the banks, you can check with the FDIC again to see who owns those assets now or if the FDIC has the ability to give you those monies if they were insured at the time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.