What should I be doing to find out what happened to my inheritance?

My grandfather passed when I was 8 years old and left Trust funds for myself and 3 of my siblings (I have a copy of the Will and have confirmed this myself). I am now 30 and have been trying to piece together what happened to the inheritances because my parents will not allow it to be a topic of conversation. Each was in the care of my dad as a conservator. I remember appearing in court over the phone consenting to a portion of my inheritance being withdrawn for the explicit purpose of a downpayment on a home. I never heard anything after that but I can see in court documents that my dad had repeatedly requested the court allow for emergency withdrawals.

Asked on November 9, 2014 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Please take the documentation to an attorney to review.  What you are claiming is that your Father may have breached his fiduciary duty and withdrew the funds for his own gain and in conflict with the terms of the trust. So it may be that you would have to sue him directly to find out what truly happened if trust records are unclear (an accounting should have been filed yearly).  This is a hard nut to swallow so be sure.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.