If my grandfather passed away by suicide and his apartment manager is trying to stick me with a bill tocover remodeling due to the smell, do I pay?

He was my grandfather on my mother’s side. The smell has saturated everything in the apartment and the apartment manager is trying to stick me with the bill for the carpet, paint, cleaning services, and leaving the apartment without a 60 day notice. I have not signed anything or agreed to anything verbally and my name is on nothing except the Will.

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Estate Planning, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are not personally responsible or liable for paying anything to your grandfather's former apartment manager for anyhting in connection with his former apartment. Rather, your grandfather's estate would be responsible for the payment of the claims of the apartment complex.

Most likely there may be insurance for the apartment manager to possibly cover the issues that you have written about concerning your grandfather's former rental. I recommend that you do not sign any documents obligating you or any other family member for the bills submitted concerning your grandfather's former living unit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.