If my grandfather passed away 4 years ago and my uncle was the executor of the Will, what can I do to get him to settle the estate?

He was in charge of the money but has spent all of it on the funeral and “fixing” up the house to sell. The house is still not up for sale as of today. Is there anything I can do to get the money I am owed?

Asked on April 17, 2015 under Estate Planning, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the issues that have arisen since your Grandfather's death. If you believe that your Uncle is not acting properly as the fiduciary of the estate you can ask for an informal accounting via the Probate Court.  Go and speak with the clerk as to form.  They can not give legal advice but I have always found that they are very knowledgable and helpful.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.