What to do if my late grandfather was a retired police officer but my grandmother didn’t receive his pension because he didn’t get to sign it over to her?

Is there anyway she can go back and get his pension?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your grandmother consult with a Wills and trust attorney as to the pension of your late grandmother and her entitlement to it in that presumably it is a marital asset where she should be entitled to at least one half (1/2) of it. You and your grandmother also need to contact your grandfather's pension fund to see who is the designated beneficiary of his pension if anyone and proceed from there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.