If my grandfather passed away over a year ago, how do I get a copy of his life insurance policy and his Will?

My sisters and I are the beneficiaries. He selected an attorney to take care of the estate so we did not have to be bothered with the legal stuff. However, I found out that his house has been sold and we have never received a copy of the Will or anything. I recevied a bill from the attorney that handled everything. However, no copy of a Will was discovered but my grandfather did have life insurance since the attorney contacted his niece about it.

Asked on August 28, 2014 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If there was an estate proceeding filed then it would have been filed in the Probate Court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  The file is a public record and you can go there and view it and figure out what happened.  Now, if there was no Will then he died intestate and an Administration would have been opened rather than a Probate. But understand that a life insurance policy that has a person or persons named as the beneficiary passes outside the Will, meaning it should have gone directly to those named.  And all you have to do is contact the insurance company for the paperwork.  You will need a copy of the death certificate.  I would not pay any legal fees until you figure this out and you may need legal help yourself. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.