My Grandfather just passed and I was notified through my sister that I’m in his will. How can I locate my Grandfather will

My father was the only child and so was my grandfather. Well he passed in California in February and my sister is not responding.

Asked on March 6, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You don't state how your sister knows that you are in your grandfather's Will. If she is the executor and she has a copy, then it is her fiduciary responsibity to let you see a copy of it. In fact, even if you were not listed as a beneficiary, as a potential heir you might be entitled to a copy if your parent (your grandfather's child) predeceased him. This is because you are what the law terms an "interested party". This is someone who would have inherited if there had there been no Will (pursuant to "intestate succession"). Accordingly, since whether or not there is a Will affects your rights, you have "standing" (i.e. a stake) which gives you the right to bring a legal action to view the Will. At this point, you should consult directly with a local attorney who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.