What to do if my grandfather was divorced years ago and ordered to pay alimony to his ex-wife but now he needs that money for a live-in care facility since he has dementia?

For his own safety (and others) he must go to a care facility. Since the facility takes most of his income he cannot afford to pay the alimony. If alimony must continue, he will get kicked out of the facility and become homeless.

Asked on December 17, 2015 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since he has dementia, his legal guardian (if he has one--e.g. your aunt, if it's her) has to get the court to allow a reduction in alimony. If the matter has been delayed, she needs to make a motion for "emergent" (think: "urgent" or "emergency") relief--that's a process that gets you into court in a week or three, if time is provably of the essence. It's more complicated than representing yourself in small claims court; while she can try to do this herself, she is strongly advised to retain an attorney to help; the legal guardian can use his money for this, since it's for his benefit.
If he does not have a legal guardian, step one is to have one appointed. An elder law attorney can help with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.