If my granddaughter’s father has not been in the picture since 2 1/2 months prior to her birth, what can my daughter do to push to have his rights taken away?

He has made statements to people that he is not going to pay for a mistake that is not his and that he wishes she would have died. Can we bring this up at the support hearing?

Asked on January 29, 2013 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country one cannot have a parent stripped of all parental rights. Rather, the court can simply decide that the absent parent has no visitation or custody rights as to the minor. The issue of not paying for a "mistake" can be brought up at the child support hearing. I suggest that the minor's mother consult with a family law attorney about the upcoming hearing for guidance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.