If my granddaughter hit me and now I have to go to court over it, what happens if I just don’t show up?

I called the police the date she hit me and she got arrested. Now 4 months later, somebody from State Attorney’s Office called me. She is a victim’s counselor and told me that I have to go to trial this Friday. However, I can’t take it without pay and I want to dismissed the charges. Will I get in

trouble if I don’t go since I am the victim?

Asked on June 7, 2016 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have not been subpoenaed, you will not get in trouble (yet) and they may dismiss the case. However, if they instead decide to adjourn, or reschedule it, to another date and subpoena you for that date, if you do not show in response to a subpoena, you could be punished by the court, including potentially jail time. 
You can ask for the matter to be dismissed, which request the prosecutor may honor (since you are the victm)--but the prosecutor is not required to honor a request to dismiss and can proceed with the case even over the victims's objections and can compel the victim to appear and testify with a subpoena.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.