If my girlfriend was terminated from her job with no just cause can she sue her employer?

My girlfriend was an EMT who was grandfathered in by a hospital to be a nursing assistant. She has no degree or certificate as a nursing aid but worked as a nursing aid for this hospital for 8 years. She was terminated from her job over heresay and denied unemployment. She filed an appeal and won. The unemployment office found that she was terminated wrongfully. Could she sue the hospital for this?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In most states in this country, an employer can terminate an employee for any reason so long as it is not based upon discriminatory reasons since most employees are on an at will basis for employment.

However, in the situation that you are writing about if the labor department found that your girlfriend was terminated wrongfully by her former employer there seems to be a basis for a civil action for wrongful termination by her. Given this, I suggest that she consult with a labor attorney about the circumstances for her termination.

Good luck to her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.