What to do if my girlfriend was caught shoplifting in a store and then I was searched?

She was followed to another store by security who watched her until police arrived. The police told her they knew the clothes she stole were in her truck and she needed to go with them. I had given her money to buy the clothes and had no knowledge of her stealing and was not even in the store when she did. The police told me to turn around and put my hands behind my back and searched me without asking permission. They found an empty bag with a small amount of residue and a meth pipe in my pocket and arrested me. They did not ask my permission to search and did not read me my rights after I was arrested. If convicted of this I will be facing the habitual felon sentence of 12-15 years. Can I beat this?

Asked on September 5, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon the serious situation that your gorlfriend has gotten you into I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney in your locality to see what can be done to resolve the situation. Whether or not you can "beat" the charge against you can only be evaluated by an attorney who you consult with in person. One in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.