Since my girlfriend is a non-US resident here on a visa an is married but going through a divorce, if she re-marries will she have to start the natrualization process over?

She has been married for four years so far. What happens when she gets a divorce? If she re-marry’s will she be able to re-start her naturalization process?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


Gene Meltser, Esq. / BIRG & MELTSER

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

if she does not have a Green Card now and is only here on the visa then YES she will need to refile. What is her exact immigration status? You can email me directly at

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.