If my girlfriend is 16 and I am 19 and she is in a foster family that treats her terribly, is there a way that I can take custody of her before she is 18?

Asked on August 13, 2013 under Family Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

When your girlfriend reaches the age of 18 years old she is deemed an adult in all states in this country and would be free to leave the foster home so long as she completes her senior near of high school or gets the GED equivalent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.