How to keep a father out of a child’s life?

My girlfriend has a 7 month old child that is not mine and there is no father on the birth certificate. The suspected father took a DNA test and it came back positive. My girlfriend doesn’t want the biological father to have any visitation or custody rights because this guy is no good and would be a bad influence on the child. She was also raped by the father but never reported the incident and that is what led to her pregnancy in the first place. Is there anything that can be done? What if I were to put my name on the birth certificate as the father?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Family Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The only way your name at this time can be placed on the minor's birth certificate is for there to be a court order declaring you to be the father after DNA testing which is not going to happen from what you have written.

I suggest that your girlfriend consult with a family law attorney about filing a restraining order against the father of the minor child to keep him away from the girlfriend and the minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.