my girlfriend got in an accident in my car? Now I’m getting sued.

My girlfriend got in accident in my car, when I didn’t give her permission to drive my car. Now I’m being sued, for property damages, 2 years later. I showed up to the accident site, when the cops showed up to talk to them. I didn’t have insurance at the time, thus why I did not allow her to drive it, but she took the keys anyways. Please help me.

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Insurance Law, Florida


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about the accident involving your vehicle.  I'm wondering if your girlfriend then is still your girlfriend now, and whether or not she had insurance at the time.  And was she named in the lawsuit, as well?  If not, and you would like to include her, you can file a third party suit against her for the damages if the court finds you liable.  That way she may be responsible to pay for some or all the damages. If she is still your girlfriend and you don't want to sue her, discuss this with her and get her to pay for at least half the damages for which you are being sued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.