My girlfriend boke into my apartment when I was at my parents in another city. Is this a felony or a misdeamor? Why? What legal action can I take?

Asked on May 31, 2009 under Criminal Law, Illinois


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are prepared to take this seriously then you can call the police and report it.  Did she take anything?  I dont have enough facts to say the degree that the charge could be without knowing more however, the charge is a misdemeanor at the very least.  However, the police may not charge her becasue she may  claim she had permission if she got into the place with a key.  If she broke the door down or hopped in a window, thats different...  Without knowing more, i cannot give you a dfinitive answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.