What to do if my girlfriend and I bought an apartment 10 years ago and now have split up but she is insisting on keeping the apartment?

I would like to sell the apartment and buy 2 smaller ones for the 2 of us. This is a co-op apartment bought under terms of joint tenants with right of survivorship. We are the only sole owners and share equal ownership of the shares. We have no other joint assets or kids together. What rights do I have in this situation?

Asked on June 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If title is in both names bring a court  action in partition to compel a sale. Once a fair market price is determined, either you buy her out, she buys you out or it is put up for sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.