If my girlfriend and I bought a house together but split up the weekend we were to move in, how do I go about removing her from the deed/title?

I haven’t Heard from her in two years. Can this be considered abandonment. She never even spent a night in the house.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can not remove her name from the deed.  She has to sign a new deed transferring the property.  You have a lot of legal issues to deal with here and you need to consult an attorney.  You are both equally responsible for the upkeep and maintentance and I am assuming the mortgage here.  But I guess you have been paying and doing it all.  That is a set off for you if you wish to purchase her half should there be an increased value two years later.  But you need to locate her first.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.